Improving Performance: Motivation, Appreciation and Feedback
Question: How do you motivate, appreciate and give meaningful feedback to employees?
Answer: When in doubt… ASK them!
This was from a discussion with a client asking about communication and performance at a staff retreat. Specifically, we were talking about the three things we do least well as supervisors (motivation, appreciation and feedback) and how to engage employees in a conversation about how to better meet their needs.
Here are a few simple questions to use with your colleagues and staff to improve communication and performance in the workplace.
- What is the best thing I can say or do to motivate you at work?
- What is the worst thing I can say or do to motivate you work?
- What do you wish to be appreciated for at work?
- What is the best way for me to you my appreciation for your work?
- How do you prefer that I give you feedback about your performance at work?
Everyone has preferences for how they are treated by supervisors and colleagues. Unfortunately, we rarely ask what they prefer. This simple technique can be used either individually or as part of a group session.